reset password
abhishek_sharma
Posted 09:26 Jul 02, 2012 |

Can anyone tell me which of these two RDBMS is better?

My focus are follow: 

i) Full Text Search

ii) Hot Backups

iii) Time Restorations

iv) Connection time

v) Memory Allocation

I am willing to use one of these two DB with Spring Hibernate framework. 

I do know that in CSNS we use PostgreSQL, but still I am curious which one has advantage over other

cysun
Posted 10:01 Jul 02, 2012 |

For general comparison google "posgresql vs. mysql". Just be aware that both DBMS have kept improving so some information you find online may be outdated.

And here's my take on the things you mentioned:

1. Both DBMS supports FTS. MySQL used to require MyISAM table if you want to do FTS, but I don't know if it's still the case. Make sure the language you want to use is supported though.

2. Both support it.

3. I don't know what you mean.

4. Chances are you'll be using a connection pool so connection time is not very important.

5. Memory usage depends on the size of your database and your work load - large database with high work load needs more buffer to be efficient. You can run both DBMS on a computer and use task manager (or "top" on Unix/Linux) to check the default memory usage.

I'd say just pick whichever one you feel more comfortable with. If it doesn't work out (which is unlikely), you can always switch to the other one.

abhishek_sharma
Posted 10:25 Jul 02, 2012 |

3 ) I mean Point-In-Time Recovery . I read that PostGreSQL supports it, but no where find any such thing for MySQL. 

Yes, Prof you are right some forums still have outdated information.

Thanks for such an early reply