reset password
aligh1979
Posted 19:11 Sep 27, 2011 |

I encounter a Failed Password Authentication problem when try to use windows console to connect to Postgres . after typing PSQL commend , whatever Password I enter gives me the error even if I am sure that I have defined such a password in PgAdmin iii .

the other thing is that it does not give me any other option to change the user and it seems to only picks on one user that I created before and it has been deleted . all of this is for console . it might work if I use PgAdmin directly .

thanks upfront if anyone could possibly know what the problem is . I am trying to follow the video that professor uploaded

cysun
Posted 20:13 Sep 27, 2011 |

When you use the command line client psql, by default it'll use your Windows login name and connect to a database with the same name as the username. If you want to use a different username/database, use the -U option, i.e.

psql -U <username> <database>

To see all the options of psql, type

psql --help

aligh1979
Posted 21:17 Sep 27, 2011 |

Thank you , what does CHCP 1252 exactly do? I had to use that according to tutorial video to get it fixed.

cysun
Posted 21:45 Sep 27, 2011 |
aligh1979 wrote:

Thank you , what does CHCP 1252 exactly do? I had to use that according to tutorial video to get it fixed.

chcp 1252 changes the Windows console page to 1252. Check out the PostgreSQL documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html (search for Notes for Windows users).