reset password
calikidd
Posted 05:18 Sep 27, 2011 |

Dr. Sun, 

I have reached an odd error when installing the last 2 plugins for  m2e.  The message is below:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed

session context was:(profile=epp.package.jee, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Comparison method violates its general contract!
Comparison method violates its general contract!

I am not sure what the problem is. I followed directions from the webpage and video. II already tried restarting eclipse and re-doing the steps.
cysun
Posted 08:30 Sep 27, 2011 |

I never saw this error before. My guess is there's something wrong with your setup, e.g. using an older version of Java (we need 1.6), or using an older version of Eclipse (we need the Indigo release), or using 32bit Java/Eclipse on a 64bit system, or something like that.

If it's on a laptop, you can also bring the laptop to my office hours and I'll have a look.

calikidd
Posted 16:11 Sep 27, 2011 |

I believe I am using jdk 1.7, would that be a problem ?

cysun
Posted 20:02 Sep 27, 2011 |
calikidd wrote:

I believe I am using jdk 1.7, would that be a problem ?

I don't know. In theory it shouldn't be but maybe one of the plugins uses some 1.6-specific API. If nothing else works, at least try downgrading to 1.6 and see if it fixes the problem.

calikidd
Posted 21:44 Sep 27, 2011 |

I ended up re-installing eclipse and was able to install the m2e w/o any problems. I am not sure what was the problem, but when I tried to update some software, I was getting similar errors.