reset password
cbort
Posted 09:54 Apr 30, 2011 |

"Good interface design will receive up to 15pt of extra credit"

Are you simply referring to how the website looks or to the addition of extra features that make it more user friendly?

cysun
Posted 20:35 Apr 30, 2011 |

I consider a UI good if it's functional, intuitive, user friendly, and looks good. Here are some examples of good or bad design:

• Redirecting the user to the question list page after a user adds an answer is bad.
  • Not having the logout link on each page is bad.
  • Hiding the vote function if the answer is given by the current user is good.
  • Hiding the + (or -) vote function if the user already gave a + (or -) vote on the answer is good.
  • Hiding the input forms before a user logs in is good.
  • Plain UI is OK (for homework), but ugly/messy ones are bad.
abajpai
Posted 22:19 Apr 30, 2011 |

Is it part of the required functionality that a user can't change his/her vote once they cast it? Because there was a discussion about this in the forum earlier, about what happens when a user tries to change his/her vote, I thought that it was allowed for the user to change their vote.

Last edited by abajpai at 22:19 Apr 30, 2011.
cysun
Posted 22:28 Apr 30, 2011 |
abajpai wrote:

Is it part of the required functionality that a user can't change his/her vote once they cast it? Because there was a discussion about this in the forum earlier, about what happens when a user tries to change his/her vote, I thought that it was allowed for the user to change their vote.

Yes, a user is allowed to change their vote, but remember that a user can only give one vote (+ or -) to an answer. If the user already gave a + vote to a answer, the + vote operation can be hidden to indicate to the user that they cannot vote + again. The - vote function will still be visible to let the user change their vote.

abajpai
Posted 22:44 Apr 30, 2011 |

I see. Thanks for further explaining that.

abajpai
Posted 00:28 May 02, 2011 |

Hey professor, i have another question. If a user gives a positive vote, then a good UI would show only the -ve vote option and not the +ve one. Now if the user clicks on the -ve vote button, should it give him the options of both +ve and -ve or just directly show only the -ve one again?

cysun
Posted 07:19 May 02, 2011 |
abajpai wrote:

Hey professor, i have another question. If a user gives a positive vote, then a good UI would show only the -ve vote option and not the +ve one. Now if the user clicks on the -ve vote button, should it give him the options of both +ve and -ve or just directly show only the -ve one again?

It depends on what the - vote means. If it means the + vote is removed, then both + and - should be shown; if it means the vote is switched to -, then only + should be shown.

abajpai
Posted 11:02 May 02, 2011 |

So which of those 2 behaviors should be used to get the extra credit? 

cysun
Posted 12:18 May 02, 2011 |
abajpai wrote:

So which of those 2 behaviors should be used to get the extra credit? 

The first one is preferred.

abess
Posted 02:23 May 03, 2011 |

or, you could simply display the one that is useable as a link, and the other as text, that way, you keep both elements, but you can still control which the user is able to select.