reset password
kknaur
Posted 11:09 Oct 14, 2010 |

I have tested my renaming function on my local machine in IE, Firefox and the internal browser, and it works in all three browsers.  However, when I upload my program to the CS3 server this function no longer works.  Does this have to do with the permissions on the server?  Even when I set file permissions of the folders I created on the server, it still will not allow me to rename anything, so I cannot properly test this function on the server.  Is there a way around this?

Last edited by kknaur at 11:09 Oct 14, 2010.
llliuyu
Posted 11:26 Oct 14, 2010 |

How about your create new folder function or upload function? If they work fine I think you already set right permissions.

kknaur
Posted 12:48 Oct 14, 2010 |

Apparently if you create a folder in your app, then the Owner is set to tomcat instead of the cs520stu# user.  Once it is set to tomcat you can't do much with the file and you can't even change the permissions as you are no longer owner of the file, which has been creating some testing issues for me on the server.

cysun
Posted 13:42 Oct 14, 2010 |

When you do renaming through your application, it's the Tomcat server that performs the renaming, so file permission should not be an issue (unless you manually created the file, in which case you are the file owner and Tomcat cannot rename it).

And when you say it no longer works, what exactly was the error? Was it "permission denied" or something else?

kknaur
Posted 14:32 Oct 14, 2010 |

I wasn't getting any kind of error, it just wasn't changing the file names of certain files or folders that I didn't have permissions for.  It seems to be working now.  I will keep testing it to see if I keep getting consistent results.