reset password
kknaur
Posted 13:25 Sep 29, 2010 |

I downloaded the one-click installer file and when I go to run it, this is the error message that comes up:

"An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"

and then the installation is cancelled.  Is there another way to install the PostgreSQL or is there a way to fix the error?  BTW I am running Windows XP.

Last edited by kknaur at 13:32 Sep 29, 2010.
cysun
Posted 15:58 Sep 29, 2010 |
kknaur wrote:

I downloaded the one-click installer file and when I go to run it, this is the error message that comes up:

"An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"

and then the installation is cancelled.  Is there another way to install the PostgreSQL or is there a way to fix the error?  BTW I am running Windows XP.

This happened to me before. The installer needs to run some VB script. In my setup I had .vbs associated with Notepad++ so the installer failed. After removing the file association it worked for me.

kknaur
Posted 14:06 Sep 30, 2010 |

I contacted the company that maintains PostgreSQL and gave them the output from the logfile generated by the installer.  This was the solution they gave me:

Script output:
CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Documents and Settings\Keenan\Local
Settings\Temp\postgresql_installer\installruntimes.vbs".

Thanks for the logs. The output above tells me that the VBscript
interpreter on your machine is broken somehow. Google has a bunch of
hits for that error message, most of which suggest you can often fix
it by clicking Start -> Run, and then entering and running the
following:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll

You should see a messagebox which says something like:

DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.

If that fails, try updating the script interpretor to the latest
version - eg. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en

The first solution presented by running regsvr32 seemed to do the trick.  Just wanted to share this with anyone else who might be having the same issue.

Last edited by kknaur at 14:07 Sep 30, 2010.
cysun
Posted 14:18 Sep 30, 2010 |

Thanks. I've added this to the CS520 FAQ.

sraghav
Posted 02:12 Apr 07, 2012 |

I was getting the error "An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"

when I ran the one-click installer for  windows("postgresql-84.11-1-windows.exe"). The installer exits after that. With postgresql-9 installer i get an error "Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path"

No log files getting created for these failed installation.

I'm using windows Vista business. Neither of the above mentioned solutions work for me.

Is there any other way to install postgresql without errors?

cysun
Posted 08:40 Apr 07, 2012 |
sraghav wrote:

I was getting the error "An error occurred executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer"

when I ran the one-click installer for  windows("postgresql-84.11-1-windows.exe"). The installer exits after that. With postgresql-9 installer i get an error "Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path"

No log files getting created for these failed installation.

I'm using windows Vista business. Neither of the above mentioned solutions work for me.

Is there any other way to install postgresql without errors?

Check if the TEMP environment variable is pointing to a valid directory, and of course, make sure you are installing with admin privilege.

sraghav
Posted 10:58 Apr 07, 2012 |

TEMP value is "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp".

Also I have admin privileges on my system.

Is the path correct?

If it is correct, please tell me what else I am missing.

nelson
Posted 11:34 Apr 07, 2012 |

Someone posted this on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5224042/postgresql-9-install-on-winxp-unable-to-write-inside-temp-environment-path

Are you running anti-virus software -- specifically, McAfee?  It's a common issue. 

sraghav
Posted 11:46 Apr 07, 2012 |

There is no anti virus on my system.

I surfed through the internet for all possible reasons for this error, but nothing turned out well.

cysun
Posted 12:01 Apr 07, 2012 |

If it's on a laptop, bring it to my office hours and I'll have a look.

sraghav
Posted 10:38 Apr 08, 2012 |

I changed my OS to Windows 7 professor.

It is working fine now.

Thank you!