reset password
jgreen
Posted 14:07 Oct 14, 2009 |

hi, I am wondering if you can help me with this problem.  At certain times, (namely when I am running my project and I click on a submit button whose link has a problem, or something like that) instead of getting an error, the entire program shuts down and I get an error message saying that eclipse quit unexpectedly.  (this may be because I am running an older version of eclipse, I don't know). 

anyways, the next time I open it and try to run on the server, I get an error message saying that certain ports that tomcat needs to use are in use.  I assume this is because the server was not shut down properly.  I have tried opening server.xml and changing the port numbers tomcat is using, but I still get the same error regarding the same port numbers (which I supposidly just changed). 

The only way I have found to get the server to work again is to restart my computer.  Do you have any other suggestions for how I could fix this without having to do that? 

Thanks.

cysun
Posted 15:21 Oct 14, 2009 |

When Eclipse crashes, sometimes a background process keeps running and causes the ports-in-use problem. On Windows you can locate the process in Task Manager and terminate it. I don't know what's the equivalent of Task Manager on Mac, but maybe you can kill it from command line - first do a "ps aux | grep java" to find the process, the "kill <process_id>" or "kill -9 <process_id>" to terminate it.