reset password
jgreen
Posted 19:45 Oct 05, 2009 |

Hi, I have some questions about setting up the development environment on a mac.  the postgreSQL database install options were not the same for the OS X version as the ones you specified in the notes about how to set it up.  It did not offer me any of those options to specify, it just installed.  Is that why I cannot make a connection properly to the repository?  Is this development environment possible on a mac, or do the settings need to be different?  Did anyone successfully set this up on a mac?  Thanks for your help.

cysun
Posted 20:00 Oct 05, 2009 |

The environment should work on Mac. I've seen several students (this quarter and in the past) who used Mac.

As for PostgreSQL on Mac, I don't know how it works, but if it installs, it should work. If you can't figure it out by yourself, please bring your laptop to my office hours.

jgreen
Posted 08:20 Oct 06, 2009 |

Thanks for responding. I have no idea now what the problem was, I tried numerous things and nothing worked and then checked again this morning and it was able to connect to the svn repository.  But now I am having another problem. when I try to create a postgreSQL database, this is what I get:

Unable to locate JAR/zip in file system as specified by the driver definition: postgresql-8.1-404.jdbc2.jar

the only .jar driver I can find is the one we downloaded for apache, and it is not this version. (that one is not recognized as the correct file either)

any suggestions?

thanks.

cysun
Posted 09:09 Oct 06, 2009 |
jgreen wrote:

Unable to locate JAR/zip in file system as specified by the driver definition: postgresql-8.1-404.jdbc2.jar

Were you trying to connect to the database using Eclipse? If so, in one of the steps to create the connection profile, you should be able to specify the db driver to be the one you downloaded.

The best way to run the db scripts is to use the command line client psql, which should be avaiable on Mac.

jgreen
Posted 09:20 Oct 06, 2009 |

I was in eclipse, trying to connect to my postsql database. I right clicked database, selected new, and it said to select the driver. the driver was listed there, but when selected, that error message came up. 

Are there any specific settings for postsql that should be open/running when I do this?

I have downloaded all the eclipse postsql .jar files I could find, but I keep getting this error message.

Last edited by jgreen at 09:59 Oct 06, 2009.
cysun
Posted 10:03 Oct 06, 2009 |

Why don't you bring your laptop to my office hours? I don't have a Mac so it's not very efficient to just guess what works or doesn't work on Mac.

Last edited by cysun at 10:04 Oct 06, 2009.
jgreen
Posted 10:08 Oct 06, 2009 |

Sorry, this is just driving me mad. I will come by today.

Last edited by jgreen at 10:09 Oct 06, 2009.