reset password
cysun
Posted 11:12 Aug 05, 2009 |

We dont' have time to go over the solutions in class so I'll just discuss a few common problems here. If you have questions regarding your grade, please come by my office hours.

1. Please read the assignment carefully and follow the instructions. For example, if I ask for three SQL scripts, please submit three SQL scripts.

2. An SQL script should only contains three things: SQL statements, comments, and empty lines. If a line starts with something like "4.20 (a)", it's none of the three and will cause syntax errors. Also when you put your SQL statements in a script, remember to end each statement with a semi-colon; otherwise the whole script will be treated as a single statement and again will cause syntax errors.

3. When you write a query, use only the information specified in the query description and nothing more. For example, if the query description says something like "Math major", then do "major_id = (select id from departments where name = 'Math'" instead of "major_id = 20". The only exception to this rule is regarding grade point values, i.e. you can always assume the grade point value for A is 4.0, and for B it's 3.0, and so on.

4. When you do "select ... into ..." in PL/SQL, make sure the selection query returns only a single row in any case.

5. Ex 5.6(d) says that a student cannot take more than 5 courses a year with any department, i.e. not just the department of the student's major.

HW2 Grades