reset password
cysun
Posted 10:51 Apr 14, 2009 |

Although the tech bubble is no more, Web is still the place where a good idea and a moderate set of development skills can make you millions. CS520 is here to help you with the skills part, but where do good ideas come from? Check out the following article:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090412/ap_on_hi_te/tec_web_photo_ads_1

ASP.NET (and JSF and GWT) uses the widget event handling model that makes the transition from desktop development to web development easier. But true web developers uses MVC (*), and Microsoft knows it:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/04/01/asp-net-mvc-1-0.aspx

(*) I was kidding. I think both paradigms are useful.

kjadhav
Posted 12:15 Apr 14, 2009 |

Thank you prof for this article and also Nice statement "Web is still the place where a good idea and a moderate set of development skills can make you millions". Knowing the basics of how the web technology works is essential to bring new ideas into practise but how to clear the confusion that I always had "Which Technology is better for your web application (where type of hardwares like server is not a concern)". MVC is implemented in PHP too and now in ASP.NET also. I have seen people askng questions Web Development cs520 course could have been learned in ASP.NET/php, but why JAVA. Also, before the development of CSNS there must have been some research which technology to use, also which architecture to use. Can we know these different technologies you considered, or different architectures you considered and how this process went through. This will surely help us in future when we are developing from scratch.

Also please let me know if anyone has ever done some kind of research or seen any non baised comparison as everyone of us would like to avoid being 'Jack of all trades. Master of none'   

cysun
Posted 15:40 Apr 14, 2009 |
kjadhav wrote:

Thank you prof for this article and also Nice statement "Web is still the place where a good idea and a moderate set of development skills can make you millions". Knowing the basics of how the web technology works is essential to bring new ideas into practise but how to clear the confusion that I always had "Which Technology is better for your web application (where type of hardwares like server is not a concern)". MVC is implemented in PHP too and now in ASP.NET also. I have seen people askng questions Web Development cs520 course could have been learned in ASP.NET/php, but why JAVA. Also, before the development of CSNS there must have been some research which technology to use, also which architecture to use. Can we know these different technologies you considered, or different architectures you considered and how this process went through. This will surely help us in future when we are developing from scratch.

Also please let me know if anyone has ever done some kind of research or seen any non baised comparison as everyone of us would like to avoid being 'Jack of all trades. Master of none'   

These are such common questions (in both CS520 and CS320) that I think they deserve their own thread. Please check out my answers at http://sun.calstatela.edu/csns/forum/viewTopic.html?topicId=2099521.

kjadhav
Posted 15:44 Apr 14, 2009 |

Thank you prof.