reset password
mhajianpour
Posted 10:01 Apr 10, 2009 |

Dr. Sun,
It would be a good idea for the teachers who are teaching a certain class during a quarter to have admin rights over that forum. For instance, I am teaching CS202 this quarter. It would be nice for me to be able to administer and moderate the CS202 forum (delete, edit posts).

Just an idea.

Thanks.

--
Mahan Hajianpour

cysun
Posted 10:40 Apr 10, 2009 |

That's something we'll definitely include in the next release. In particular, when an instructor adds a section, the instructor will automatically becomes a moderator of the class forum for that section.

Implementing this is pretty easy - I even gave it as an exercise in my first CS520 homework Smile. The reason I didn't do it in the first place was that it could be abused easily. For example, an instructor can add all the sections (then remove them) to become moderators for all the class forums. After giving it some more thought, I think this won't be a problem because all of our instructors are good people (otherwise we wouldn't hire them), so this feature will definitely be implemented. And meanwhile, I've manually added you as a moderator for the CS202 forum, so now you should be able to pin topics and edit other people's posts in the forum.

Thanks,

- Chengyu

mhajianpour
Posted 10:46 Apr 10, 2009 |

This is great! Thank you. I am actively promoting my students to use the forums so that I may answer several people's questions with one email. Definitely reduces my work load and provides a general forum for others to learn and ask questions.

--
Mahan Hajianpour

gurus
Posted 11:24 Apr 21, 2009 |
cysun wrote:

That's something we'll definitely include in the next release. In particular, when an instructor adds a section, the instructor will automatically becomes a moderator of the class forum for that section.

Implementing this is pretty easy - I even gave it as an exercise in my first CS520 homework Smile. The reason I didn't do it in the first place was that it could be abused easily. For example, an instructor can add all the sections (then remove them) to become moderators for all the class forums. After giving it some more thought, I think this won't be a problem because all of our instructors are good people (otherwise we wouldn't hire them), so this feature will definitely be implemented. And meanwhile, I've manually added you as a moderator for the CS202 forum, so now you should be able to pin topics and edit other people's posts in the forum.

Thanks,

- Chengyu

It may be usefull - when replying to a " post " that can have sub-topic.

Last edited by gurus at 11:25 Apr 21, 2009.
cysun
Posted 11:42 Apr 21, 2009 |
gurus wrote:

It may be usefull - when replying to a " post " that can have sub-topic.

I'm not sure I understand what "sub-topic" means. If you mean like threads (e.g. Slashdot style), it can certainly be done, though it's not in my plan in the near future.