reset password
cysun
Posted 17:54 Mar 06, 2015 |

For both sections the final will be on Tuesday 3/17 from 8pm to 11:30pm. It will be a take-home exam so you can do it anywhere you want, and you may even work together, but just like for the homework assignments, we draw the line of cheating at the code level - sharing code is considered cheating, and all parties involved (i.e. the ones who provide code and the ones who copy code) will received F for the class.

In the final you'll be asked to implement some new functions in CSNS2. You should get familiar with the Section and the Enrollment class as well as the instructor's home page which can be accessed from the top menu Home -> Instructor.

For the exam you should work on an unmodified copy of CSNS2 checked out from the Subversion repository at svn://sun.calstatela.edu/csns2/trunk. To submit your work, you'll need to create a zip file of the project folder and upload it to CSNS. The zip file should include everything in the project folder except the target and the test-output folder. In particular:

• The .svn folder should be included. Without this folder you may not receive any partial credit as I need to use "svn status" and "svn diff" to locate your changes.
  • The size of the file should be about 2-3MB. If your file is too big or too small, you are doing something wrong.
  • Only zip file will be accepted, i.e. no rar or other format.
  • If you work at home, leave enough time at the end to upload the file because the upload speed of your home network may not be as fast as the campus network.
  • If you miss the deadline and can't upload to CSNS, you can email the file to me, but your email must reach my inbox by 11:35PM - no submission will be accepted after that.

During the exam I'll be available online (by email and in the class forum) to answer any questions you have regarding the problem description. I will not answer any design, coding or debugging questions. You may ask those questions in the forum, but do not post any code - doing so will be considered cheating and you'll get an F for that. Also be aware that helping out your fellow students means raising the grade curve which may affect your own grade.

jbaber
Posted 13:14 Mar 07, 2015 |

Professor,

Would you have office hours on 16th and 17th though??

Thank you

cysun
Posted 15:07 Mar 07, 2015 |

No, there are no office hours in the finals week.

Yuan-Yu
Posted 11:52 Mar 14, 2015 |

Hello,

For the zip file, should we also pack .settings, .classpath, and .project?

Thank you for your answer.

cysun
Posted 11:56 Mar 14, 2015 |
Yuan-Yu wrote:

Hello,

For the zip file, should we also pack .settings, .classpath, and .project?

Thank you for your answer.

No, but you can include them if it's more convenient.

lmann2
Posted 15:13 Mar 15, 2015 |

For the exam you should work on an unmodified copy of CSNS2.

So, this instruction is very clear, but are we allowed to make any notes or comments in the code before the exam?   This is the only way that I know how to study for this exam. 

Second Question:

You mentioned that we are creating models (or did you mean modifying existing model classes?) will you provide a simple layout of the model like you did for our HW or do we need to design the model ourselves? 

Last edited by lmann2 at 15:26 Mar 15, 2015.
cysun
Posted 15:24 Mar 15, 2015 |
lmann2 wrote:

For the exam you should work on an unmodified copy of CSNS2.

So, this instruction is very clear, but are we allowed to make any notes or comments in the code before the exam?   This is the only way that I know how to study for this exam. 

Sure.

lmann2
Posted 18:45 Mar 15, 2015 |

I've been finding this command really useful if you're using the command line: \d+ <'table_name'>

nahmed5
Posted 21:16 Mar 16, 2015 |

Prof, do we need to make the zip file with maven package or other zip making tool such as 7zip? Or both are accepted?

cysun
Posted 21:18 Mar 16, 2015 |
nahmed5 wrote:

Prof, do we need to make the zip file with maven package or other zip making tool such as 7zip? Or both are accepted?

You should use something like 7zip as Maven package won't include the .svn directory unless you write an assembly descriptor yourself.

nahmed5
Posted 21:20 Mar 16, 2015 |

Another question:

You have mentioned that "The .svn folder should be included." Does it mean that we have to sync and commit it to our svn before submitting . After that make the zip and then submit?

cysun
Posted 21:22 Mar 16, 2015 |
nahmed5 wrote:

Another question:

You have mentioned that "The .svn folder should be included." Does it mean that we have to sync and commit it to our svn before submitting . After that make the zip and then submit?

No. You can't commit anyway as you don't have write access to CSNS2 repository.

nahmed5
Posted 21:36 Mar 16, 2015 |

Okey! So does the .svn folder generates automatically as I work on the project in Eclipse? & I just need to make sure not to exclude it while making the zip? I may sound ignorant but actually I've never particularly looked for it during homeworks. So, just wondering!

Thanks!

Last edited by nahmed5 at 21:36 Mar 16, 2015.
cysun
Posted 08:48 Mar 17, 2015 |
nahmed5 wrote:

Okey! So does the .svn folder generates automatically as I work on the project in Eclipse? & I just need to make sure not to exclude it while making the zip? I may sound ignorant but actually I've never particularly looked for it during homeworks. So, just wondering!

Thanks!

The .svn folder is created by Subversion when you check out a project from a repository. Subversion uses it to store data needed for version control. You don't need to change anything in it (and shouldn't). Just include it when you create the zip file.