reset password
cysun
Posted 14:51 Aug 06, 2009 |

Due to budget shortfall, all CSU faculty and staff must take two furlough days per month as a cost-cutting measure, starting from August 1, 2009. A furlough day is basically a day off without pay, and two furlough days per month is roughly equivalent to a 10% pay cut.

Here at CSULA, the furlough days are designated to be the first and the third Friday of each month. The first furlough day will be August 7, 2009.

CSULA also divides the furlough days into two types: Administrative Closure Days and State Budget Closure Days. On State Budget Clusure Days, the whole campus will be closed (like during holidays). On Administrative Closure Days, most administrative offices will be closed, but the library and the campus policy department will be open, and classes will be held as normal. The first State Budget Closure Day is October 16 (i.e. in the Fall Quarter), which means that classes scheduled on Friday during the Summer Quarter will not affected. However, we may have to deal with this in CS491B if the class stays on Friday.

Please check out the attachments for a furlough day calendar and the details about what offices will be open on the Adminstrative Closure Days.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that there are 6 State Budget Clusure Days, and 18 Administrative Closure Days, for a total of 24 furlough days a year.

Last edited by cysun at 16:38 Aug 06, 2009.
yzhao
Posted 16:17 Aug 06, 2009 |
cysun wrote:

Due to budget shortfall, all CSU faculty and staff must take two furlough days per month as a cost-cutting measure, starting from August 1, 2009. A furlough day is basically a day off without pay, and two furlough days per month is roughly equivalent to a 10% pay cut.

Here at CSULA, the furlough days are designated to be the first and the third Friday of each month. The first furlough day will be August 7, 2009.

CSULA also divides the furlough days into two types: Administrative Closure Days and State Budget Closure Days. On State Budget Clusure Days, the whole campus will be closed (like during holidays). On Administrative Closure Days, most administrative offices will be closed, but the library and the campus policy department will be open, and classes will be held as normal. The first State Budget Closure Day is October 16 (i.e. in the Fall Quarter), which means that classes scheduled on Friday during the Summer Quarter will not affected. However, we may have to deal with this in CS491B if the class stays on Friday.

Please check out the attachments for a furlough day calendar and the details about what offices will be open on the Adminstrative Closure Days.

should we get 10% refund or discount (we pay for 10 week)

cysun
Posted 16:34 Aug 06, 2009 |
yzhao wrote:
cysun wrote:

should we get 10% refund or discount (we pay for 10 week)

I think you certainly deserve a refund for the classes that are affected by the furloughs, though this is not up to me.

According to the University, on those State Budget Closure Days, "course objectives and student learning outcomes are going to be addressed in a manner other than classroom time". Whatever that means.

In practice, now that the furlough calendar is set, I expect that all departments will avoid scheduling classes on Fridays. I also expect that some faculty (but maybe not all) will try to arrange additional lectures/office hours to compensate for the ones lost to furloughs. In short, we'll do our best to minimize the effect on the students.